Powered by Blogger.

A Child called It: First section

>> Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Child called It by Dave Pelzer is an interesting book. Although I have read the book I will try not to give any spoilers away. In the first chapter it was a flash forward that talks about his daily routine at school. David goes to the school nurse and has himself checked out. The nurse counts his scars and beatings from his mother and asked how he receives it. David always made up excuses because his mother told him to do so. During the second chapter, David was born to a loving family with no problems. His mother seems lovely and kind while his dad is a firemen. His mother would treat her children like they were something special which really struck out to me. They would go to road trips and vacations together as a family and have a blast. But something in his mother changed, for the worse. David’s mother, Catherine became abusive towards David. David had to do numerous amounts of chores around the house every single day and received no food at all. If he is lucky he would get left overs. What really got me thinking is how David would always get abused by his mother while his brothers aren’t. His brother still gets yelled at but not necessarily beaten.
    Since his mother abuses him, David had to quit his education in order to survive.

“Usually I’m a very good student, but for the past few months I gave up on everything in my life, including my misery through my schoolwork,” (page.8)
This quote was the one that struck out. Education is powerful and it is sad to see him give up on everything including education because he needed a way to survive from his mother. I wished he didn’t give up because with something powerful it can help you go far in the future and turn the worse to the better. This book is very interesting and powerful. I love this book even though it makes me cry to see how much pain he had to go through and endure every single day of his life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to TOP